The Pacific Basin Primary Care Office (PBPCO) is funded under a cooperative agreement between the Federal government, Department of Health & Human Services Administration (HRSA)’s Bureau of Health Workforce and Bureau of Clinician Recruitment and Service (BCRS), Division of Policy & Shortage Designations, and Pacific Island Health Officers’ Association (PIHOA). PIHOA houses the PBPCO, which provides support for the 9 US Associated Pacific Islands Jurisdictions (USAPIs) in the Pacific Basin (Title 8 US code) comprised of: US Territory of American Samoa (AS), US Territory of Guam, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI), Federated States of Micronesia or FSM (Pohnpei, Chuuk, Kosrae, and Yap), Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), and Republic of Palau (ROP).
The main functions are:
- Technical Assistance to Communities/Health Care Systems to improve Access to Primary Care for Underserved Populations;
- Assessment of Health-related Needs/Sharing Data;
- Workforce Development for the NHSC and Safety Net/Community Health Center Network;
- Shortage Designation (HPSA, Health Professional Shortage Area) and (MUA/P, Medically Underserved Area or Population) Applications and Updates (Shortage Designation Program).
This program is authorized under the Public Health Service Act as amended, Title 3, Sections 330 and 333, which provides for the following:
- Assistance to Statewide organizations in the development and delivery of comprehensive primary health care service in areas that lack adequate numbers of health professionals or have populations lacking access to primary care; and
- Technical and non-financial assistance to community-based providers of comprehensive primary and preventive care for underserved and vulnerable populations.
Pacific Island Health Officers’ Association (PIHOA) Pacific Basin Primary Care Office (PBPCO)
737 Bishop St., Suite 2075
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 537-3131
Fax: (808) 537-6868
PIHOA Executive Director/Pacific Basin PCO PI, Emi Chutaro: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pacific Basin PCO Director/ Pacific Basin PCO co-PI, Greg Dever: email@example.com
Pacific Basin PCO Coordinator and primary contact person, Angela Techur-Pedro: firstname.lastname@example.org